My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, December 27, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

If Lord of the Rings: Return of the King had too many endings, this first part of J.R.R. Tolkien's prequel has too many beginnings.  But that's really the only fault I can find in this spectacular fun adventure fantasy.  Director Peter Jackson at times equals his creative force from his first trilogy and really does deliver a worthy add-on.  Sure some of the action sequences remind me of a video game but I'm not bothered by it because they're so well done.  We don't really need to see Frodo at the beginning either but it wasn't awful seeing him.  Is it too long?  Yeah, a little, but I can forgive Peter Jackson for giving us those extra minutes.   Really as the first of a new trilogy it's a wonderful journey and should be watched by any who enjoyed the Lord of the Rings.  Grade: A-.

A note on 48fps:  I was fortunate enough to see this in its intended frame rate of 48fps.   I've read a lot of negative reviews on this but I see it as the future of cinema, especially with 3D.  The clarity of the image is remarkable; and, yes, at times almost too perfect but that's only because my eye isn't used to it yet.  I remember when I watched something on my 1080p TV for the first time and I was amazed.   Now I'm so accustom to my TV I can't remember it looking so good.   People are afraid of new improvements.   Someday soon people will just see 48fps as the norm.   Especially for 3D which needs the high frame rate because without it the image blurs too much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment