My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, December 17, 2012

Here Comes The Groom (1940)

Bing Crosby stars as an international news correspondent who returns home from covering a story about WWII orphans with two children he plans to adopt of his own only to learn that his longtime sweetheart, Jane Wyman, is marrying a millionaire instead.   Not wanting to lose both the girl and the two kids, he sets out to prove that she's making a mistake and should marry him.  This oldie has it all, great music numbers, whimsical fun, positive characters without a mean bone in their body and a lot of heart.  It might not be the deepest film ever made but it's great carefree entertainment.   That said, even if this kind of film might not interest you, there's one scene at the beginning of an orphan girl singing to potential parents that should not be missed.  If I ever were to compile the greatest scenes in film history I would do my best to make sure this scene was included.   Sure it's sentimental and a little manipulative but it's glorious to behold.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment