My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, September 10, 2012

The Whales of August (1987)

This film is the cinematic equivalent of a retirement home.  Starring screen legends Betty Davis, Lillian Gish and Vince Price: it's about old people choosing to live instead of surrendering to time.  This actors of a different era refuse to give in and their performances are wonderful, if a little stale.  Based on the play by David Berry I felt at times like we were watching an adaption of a play yet director Lindsay Anderson does give the audience a few visual moments that assist in reminding the viewer that this is a film, even if an uneventful one.  That's my main problem with the story: it lacks dramatic tension.  If you're interested in watching Betty Davis and Lillian Gish act in their old age and you like stories of quite reflection, you might want to give this one a try.   Grade: B+ 

No comments:

Post a Comment