My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

13 Assassins (2011)

If you like violent Japanese Samurai stories then this is just the film for you. It’s a mix up of the Seven Samurai with a Dirty Dozen plot. I can imagine Quentin Taratino did back flips over this one. A group of warriors join up to take down an evil war-loving ruler. The last forty minutes are raw classic swordplay with blood and death. There is some character development squeezed in there but I felt it could have used more; some of the characters needed a bit more back story. Still Takashi Miike directs an entertaining film with good drama and tension. And I have to add that I appreciate that there’s no slow motion.  Michael Bay, you could learn a lot form this film.   Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment