My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, September 7, 2012

Casa de Mi Padre (2012)

This is one of those movies where the people making the movie probably had more fun than those, like me, who watched it.  Some of it works and is quite funny.  Will Ferrell is hilarious and his dedication almost makes this film watchable.   The problem is that parody alone cannot carry a film by itself.   A strong parody also needs a good story, a zany story that the audience will keep wanting to watch.  This film loses its comedic welcome fast.  It's not quite a one note joke but at best it's a three note joke.  True, the story is thin because the source material they're mimicking is thin but that's not an excuse.  The film makers needed to expand the world of the story and give us more.  Thirty minutes in and I was tired and ready for something new.  Unfortunately what I got was more of the same.   Too bad because they had a great comedy in the making but lost sight in trying to stylize the film just right.  I would be curious to know what audiences in Mexico thought of this film, does the comedy translate?  Grade: C+.

No comments:

Post a Comment