My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

High Art (1998)

Radha Mitchell plays Sydney, the assistant to a magazine editor who falls in love with the famous photographer next door. Sydney has a boyfriend and the photographer played by Ally Sheedy has a girl friend. Yet the real obstacle to this love story isn’t infidelity it’s drugs. This isn’t about lesbians but about two women on the verge of discovery. Mitchell's Syd is on her way to finding her strength and Sheedy's Lucy is about to find peace and redemption. This film is certainly an indie picture and it doesn’t try to make any grand statements.  In some ways the film works yet I had a problem with the druggies in the film. They seemed too hip and I feel director Lisa Cholodenko could have been more honest about how destructive drugs can be. I had a hard time understanding what Lucy saw in them in the first place. The family atmosphere hinted at needed to be more developed. Overall a good anti-love story where love doesn't always conquer all.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment