My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, September 24, 2012

Salaam Bombay! (1988)

The despair of India’s slums makes for a dramatic setting but it’s so hard to watch. And to make this story even more discouraging is that its hero is a young boy just trying to make enough money to go back to his home village. Mira Nair directs a drama that remains truthful without letting the poverty of the city take over the story’s main narrative drive. Yet the poverty looms like a dangerous force. At times I had to remind myself that this was fiction. The kids are real and the film making isn’t showy to the point you are constantly reminded you’re watching a movie. I love this kind of film making. Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment