My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, September 14, 2012

Looking for Lenny (2011) 9/14

A basic documentary that shows that Lenny Bruce’s battle for free speech, while victorious in some ways, ultimately failed to prevent a new breed of censors. As someone who stands against all kinds of censorship I was disappointed that this documentary lacked any new ideas. Lenny Bruce was certainly ahead of his time as a comedian but I would have liked more specifics on his fight and better examples of how those specifics relate today.  The best example of this that works in the film is the section on the N-word.  Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment