My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Bullhead (2011)

A dark film dealing with the illegal-use of growth hormones for cattle, it follows Belgian rancher Jacky Vanmarsenille struggling with a horrific childhood incident. There's also a side plot shown from the point of view of Diederik Maes, an insider of the criminal underworld who grew up with Jacky; a distracting element to the film at times, it eventually pays off at the end.  Nominated for last year's Best Foreign Language film and directed by Michael R. Roskam.  While certainly an original film with its own unique slick bleakness I would have to say I'd have enjoyed it more with improved pacing.  Still if your willing to dive into the complex depths of an angry young man trying to be the man he thinks he was meant to be any means necessary, you might enjoy this one.  Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment