My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Lover Come Back (1961)

Rock Hudson and Doris Day make a cute couple in this sex comedy about competing advertising execs. He plays Jerry Webster, a playboy who uses schmoozing to succeed while she plays Carol Templeton, the goody-too-shoes with a strong honest work ethic.  Being from the ‘60s this battle of the sexes is pretty sexist with Rock being as despicable a man as one can expect. Unlike Pillow Talk, which is a much better film, it's not at all believable that he is falling for her like she's falling for him.  He will lie to her and even have sex with her to give the scientist he hired to come up with the product he accidentally made-up before he can be labeled the fraud he is.  The turn-a-round almost doesn’t work, but this is a Doris Day and Rock Hudson film and their screen chemistry sizzles. Tony Randall of course steals the show as Jerry Webster's boss.  I almost wish the film could have centered about him.  Grade: B 

No comments:

Post a Comment