My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Manon of the Spring (1987)

For the second part of Marcel Pagnol's set of novels, director Claude Berri rises to new heights with a film adaption that transcends the first film.  This is a glorious work of story telling that is as close to perfection as a film can be.  Yves Montand is a sensation as César Soubeyran, a man who would do anything to help his nephew carry on his name.  Then there's Emmanuelle Béart, who plays the older Manon, who takes care of goats and soon learns of the deceit surrounding the spring her father never found.  She might be one of the most beautiful women to grace the silver screen.   While it's abhorrent that Daniel Auteuil's Ugolin would want to marry her, you can't really blame him for falling in love with her.  I hate to over praise any film but this one really is fantastic in so many ways, beautifully tragic and expertly crafted.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment