My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Young Adult (2011)

A film staring one of the best antiheroes I've seen on film in a long time played perfectly by Charlize Theron.  Jason Reitman directs another winning script from Diablo Cody, they last working together on Juno.  Semi-successful young adult author Mavis Gary lives a lonely and empty life with her toy dog.  When she learns that her high school sweetheart is having a baby, she decides to go back to her home town and take him back.  Who care if he's happily married and about to start a family, they were in love and deserve to be together.  Awkwardness and great character exploration follows, forming a satisfying story of delusion and misdirected empowerment. Patrick Wilson and Patton Oswald co-star with great performances.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment