My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

That Obscure Object of Desire (1977)

Master surrealist Luis Bunuel's last film is a wonderful anti-love story that will entertain any who are open to the absurd and nonsensical.  If you're interest in logical story lines with characters that act rationally than I recommend you skip this one.  For me, Bunuel is one of the greatest film makers of all time.  He's up there with Stanley Kubrick, Hitchcock, and others of that skill.  Sure, this isn't his best but it demonstrates his strengths as a magician of the dream-like nonsense of our lives.  He makes bold statements with great humor and honesty.  Here we follow an older gentlemen trying to woo a younger woman that keeps thwarting him, never mind that she's played by two actresses (a little inside joke I'm sure).  This film speak volumes while never its intention to explain anything.  It leaves it all out there for the audience to grapple with and that's what makes it so fun.  Grade: B+ 

No comments:

Post a Comment