My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, March 9, 2012

Colombiana (2011)

Films about women who kick-ass are increasingly becoming more popular.   The reason probably has something to do with the basic and raw correlation between sex and violence.  This one staring Zoe Saldana as a woman assassin out to revenge the death of her parents succeeds because of the star's determination and guts as well as an emotional element in the story that feels genuine.  It's basically everything you'd want in an action movie.  I could have done without some of the cliches and the under developed villain but as guilty pleasures go this one struck the right nerve.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment