My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Children of a Lesser God (1986)

This love story about a teacher of deaf high-schoolers who falls in love with the deaf janitor that works for the school is way better than I had thought it would be.  I don't know why I avoided this Oscar winning film but I thought it would be predicatble.  It's not.  It's a complex film about relationships and that to know how to communicate with your lover is just the tip of the iceberg.  One needs to know what to communicate and why.  I also must applaud director Randa Haines and writers Hesper Anderson and Mark Medoff (whose play this was based on) for making this film not feel like a typical play adaptation, where it feels stagey.  Obviously the acting is stellar from both Marlee Matlin and William Hurt, with Hurt's performance standing out as his best of his career.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment