My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, March 16, 2012

Waste Land (2010)

Documentaries like these don't get made everyday: inspiring, important and beautiful.  It follows Vik Muniz, a famous Artist living in New York, returning home to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to literally turn Garbage into art.  To do this he visits one of the largest landfills in the world, Jardim Gramacho, and with the help of the very pickers who scavenger it for recyclables creates a series bold images that speak volumes about the human connection.  But the real art is how Vik changes the pickers he portrays, empowering them with a fever to improve their lives.  A wonderful upbeat film that teaches us all it's never impossible to use our talents to improve the world.  Grade: A 

No comments:

Post a Comment