My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Carnal Knowledge (1971)

For Mike Nichols' third film he studies the complex "asshole-complex" men have about sex and relationships, staring Jack Nicholson and Art Garfunkel.  The film follows best friends from their days in college all the way into their forties focusing on their disconnection with women.  Very well written by a script by cartoonist Jules Feiffer with top-notch acting from all on board, including Ann-Margret and Candice Bergen.  What surprising to me is that when it came out it was considered obscene and caused an outrage for discussing sex so openingly.  Times have changed more than you might think.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment