My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Silver City (2004)

While the setting is Colorado, the political mirror is the entire country and Chris Cooper's character is an all-out satire of George W. Bush.  What John Sayles has here is a mishmash of ideas siphoned into a film-noir-like mystery, as a report, Danny Huston,  investigates the death of a Mexican worker found fished out of a lake.  Sometimes it feels like a comedy, a very unfunny comedy unfortunately, and at other times it feels like a mystery with a mystery that never seems that important (which is kind of the point I guess). There are some good moments but as a whole I found it kind of a let down especially with such a strong cast.  Grade: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment