My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Pina (2011)

I was fortunate enough to watch this in 3D as it was intended and it was well-worth the higher ticket price.  Watching this dance documentary from Wim Wenders in 3D was the closest I've come to experiencing a live-theatrical art form without actually being there.  You feel like you're there as they move and explode up in the air and twist and thrust their muscles in ways that is magical and brutal at the same time.  Dedicated to the choreographer Pina Bausch, I was extremely moved to watch these dancers, all friends and members of Pina's dance troop, use their talents to celebrate the life of their mentor.   The music was also a grand bonus.  My wife and I loved the soundtrack so much we went straight to the music store and bought the soundtrack and listened to it on the way home.  Overall there are a few uninspiring dance sequences but when they're good and that's plenty, it's a powerful gut-hitting experience.  Beautifully bold, just like the woman the film honors. Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment