My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Meek's Cutoff (2011)

There's something profound about a movie that lingers in the mind after watching it.  This pioneer western about some wagoners getting lost when their guide named Meek takes them the wrong way to Oregon is certainly not typical.   First it's shot in 1.33 just like the old westerns were in John Ford's day and second there's no real action in it.  This is my first experience with director Kelly Reichardt and I'll be checking out her other work soon (so stay tuned) but I wouldn't call this a complete success.   At times it's achingly slow and some of the better parts of the film don't happen until the last twenty minutes of the movie.  I will say, Reichardt knows how to build a great cast from Michelle Williams to an unrecognisable Bruce Greenwood to Paul Dano and Will Patton.  Mostly though this is an artistic approach to a true story that deserves a more traditional telling.  But I applaud Reichardt's bravery for making a western that goes against the grain.  Grade: B+    

No comments:

Post a Comment