My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Hanna (2011)

From Joe Wright's past work, all excellent, I've been keen to see what else he would do.  When I learned he'd be making an action/thriller I was excited.  Too bad the result is a mixed bag.   It's basically Bourne Identity with a girl (notice how all spy films nowadays are cloning the popular Matt Damon starring film).  Saoirse Ronan is wonderful as the kick-ass spy kid and this proves she can carry a film but the story goes really nowhere.  Eric Bana is her father who trains her in the ways of battle and how to survive as an international spy.  Cate Blanchet is the rogue CIA agent out to find her and kill her.  It's a nice set up but the mystery isn't that interesting and the motivations are vague and a little forced.   I'd only check it out if you love spy films and need to see a little girl action drama.  Grade: B.

Spoilers: Okay, why are Bana and Hanna hiding from a woman who isn't even looking for them anymore?  What is their plan exactly?  Revenge?  That's a pretty weak motivation in my opinion.  I had a lot of problems with this visually exciting but plotless film.  I will applaud the bookends in this movie as well as the scene stealing from Jessica Barden (who was so good in Tamara Drewe). 

No comments:

Post a Comment