My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, December 30, 2011

The Adventures of Tintin (2011)

This is the Spielberg we miss.  Much like an Indiana Jones film, we follow the young Tintin and his dog, Snowy, on a quest to uncover the Secret of the Unicorn, a ship that sunk after a great sea battle with a pirate.   But unlike Indiana Jones, here anything can happen and feel possible because it's animated (motion captured, actually, which isn't really animation but that's a debate for some other blog).   This is such a fun film I wish everyone would go see it.  It has a slick and intelligent plot that's not dumbed down for the kiddies.  The characters are evolving and likable.  And what can I say about the eye-popping action, it's cleverly staged like a great Buster Keaton film on steroids (again only possible in this medium; if shot with film, people would be complaining like they did with the refrigerator scene in Indy 4).  What helps make this such a successful film though is the script written by Stephen Moffatt, Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish (the British dream team of new writers -- Doctor Who and Sherlock, Shaun of the Dead and Attack the Block -- Holy trinity of awesomeness).   They cram every scene with diamonds and I'll have to see this film again to catch them all.   Of course I can't end this segment without mentioning the man who created Tintin, the Belgium cartoonist Herge (Georges Remi).  If you like where this film took you than check out his inspiring work.  I know I will.  Grade: A

Spoiler:  Okay, I just have to say there was only one part in the film that didn't work for me.  It's a minor little plot hole but I don't want anyone reading this blog to think, after my raving review, I'm blinded by the talent behind this film.  Tintin uses his last bullet to bring a sea plane down.  Then he uses that same plane (after tying the pilot and henchman up) to fly away.   First, what did he shoot to force the plan down and second how did he fix the plane?  Why not show us?  Oh well, it's a really nit- picky flaw but it did distract me for a minute.  Still, if that's all that bothered me, that's pretty impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment