My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Biutiful (2010)

Alejandro González Iñárritu's latest film richly weaves together the lives surrounding Uxbal, a shady peddler and responsible father who learns he's about to die.  Javiar Bardem is astonishing, as usual, delivering another deserving Oscar nominated performance.  Yet his supporting cast is just as exceptional starting with Maricel Alvarez who plays his bi-polar druggie wife.   There's many aspects to this film, from the supernatural to the gritty underworld, and all of it mixed just right.  I'll admit it's a heavy film to watch sometimes and it's not for everyone but it's a pretty beautiful film with a moving message.  Grade: A-.

No comments:

Post a Comment