My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, December 1, 2011

America, America (1963)

Elia Kazan's personal account of his uncle and how he came to America.  Beautifully shot in black and white and filled with complex characters and issues, you can see why it was nominated for Best Picture back then.  It's a little long and Kazan's voice over is completely unnecessary but it's a fine film.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment