My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

True Grit (2010)

I have yet to see a better remake (if we should even call it a remake that is).  Here's another example why the Coen Brothers are my favorite film makers.  Everything from the writing to the production to the acting to how it's all put together is brilliant here.  When I first heard that they were remaking this, I rolled my eyes, not because I thought it would be terrible because I didn't (in the Coen Brothers I trust) but because I'm sick of all the remakes being made today, except-- so I'd learn-- this technically isn't a remake, it's a re-adaptation of the same novel that was the basis of the John Wayne incarnation.   Not that this matters, when you make a great film like this it could be based on cave paintings, I don't care.  I loved this movie.  Jeff Bridges is great, Matt Damon is equally impressive and Barry Piper is better than he has ever been.  Yet it is the girl of the story, played by Hailee Steinfeld, that steals the show.  I haven't cared about a character like this in a movie in a long time.  The fact that the Golden Globes snubbed this movie is proof to me that they're brainless, celebrity courting dweebs.  Easily one of the best films of the year.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment