My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Scenes From A Marriage (1973)

Ingmar Bergman is always amazing me.  The first aspect of this film that impressed me was that it never feels like you're watching two people talking, but that's exactly what this film is.  Somehow he frames every shot just right.  Whether its a close up or a medium shot, he gives the viewer enough variety without boring you.  All while two supreme actors, Liv Ullmann and Erland Josephson, deliver the second aspect of this film that blew me away, they're raw, naturalistic demonstration of brilliant reacting and listening that only great actors understand.  I only wished I had done my homework before renting it because I should have seen the television version which is 80 minutes longer and would have been the more complete version.  Alas, I saw the shorter theatrical version.  It's always hard to recommend Bergman movies to people because they're so heavy with psychological exploration.  This isn't a really fun escapist film.  It's a work of art that explores the nature of relationships whether married or not.  But it's worth the invested time because it brings about ideas that everyone in a relationship or who wants to be in relationship should be reminded of.  Not that these character's marriage represents all unions, for I must add this is a dramatic work, it's a fantastic battle of wits and another example of Bergman's genius.  Grade: A.    

No comments:

Post a Comment