My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Another Year (2010)

Mike Leigh makes movies for actors and those who love to watch actors live on screen.   Plot is a minor concern, not that there isn't a plot here it's just that the character work is the real selling point of this film.  Tell people it's about a happy married couple (no, really, they're perfectly happy) and their neurotic friend that wanders in and out of their life in the span of a year, divided by four seasons, and most people will give you a disinterested look.  Tell them that nothing much really happens but much happens between the lines of the characters actions and again they will stare at you like you are some artsy-fartsy elitist.   If you want to see cars blow up or a clear, simple plot about boy meets girl, or a gang of thieves planning a heist job, stay away from this one.   But if you wish to examine the lives of some complex and fascinating British citizens, like a voyeuristic fly on the wall, check this one out.   I must admit that while watching it, I found it takes a while to get going; I'll admit I was bored.  Then when all the characters are set up the film gels into a satisfying experience.   This only tells me that Leigh needed to cut some of the beginning.   There's even an opening scene that has nothing to do with the rest of the film, but as a thematic starting point.   Besides this flaw, this movie is a breath of fresh air acted out by a group of fine actors.   If you like character-based stories and enjoy watching good acting this is a keeper.  It'll be interesting to see if this is nominated for the Oscars.   Soon we'll see.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment