My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, January 7, 2011

Tonari no Totoro [My Neighbor Totoro] (1988)

Is the word "masterpiece" good enough to describe this movie?   Hayao Miyazaki's beautifully crafted story of two sisters and the forest spirit they live next to is as magical as anything I've ever seen.  This is of course not very surprising since it's from the master of such great works as Spirited Away and Princess Mononoko.  With a story that continues to captivate and characters as cute and as complex and real as living actors, here is animation perfection.  I hate to gush on and on about it too much but I really think it's a great animated film.  I can't think of anything wrong with it.  Where can I get my own Totoro?  Grade: A+   

No comments:

Post a Comment