My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

OSCAR 2011 - NOMINATION REACTION

It’s time to revisit my predictions and review the nominations.  I have to admit I did pretty well. 

BEST PICTURE
Inception
The King's Speech
True Grit
Toy Story 3
Black Swan
The Fighter
The Kids Are All Right
127 hours
Winter’s Bone
The Social Network
            9/10: I wavered on this one.  I wanted to give 127 hours a spot but I just thought Blue Valentine would make the grade.  It’s too bad Winter’s Bone is in there; it’s my least favorite of the ten.  Snubbed-- Blue Valentine.       

BEST DIRECTOR
Tom Hooper – The King's Speech
Ethan and Joel Coen - True Grit
Darren Aronofsky - Black Swan
David Fincher - The Social Network
David O.Russell- The Fighter
            4/5: Mr. Russell did a fine job but it’s inexcusable that Christopher Nolan didn’t make the cut.  Nolan was better than half of the nominees.  Snubbed--Christopher Nolan.

BEST ACTOR
Colin Firth – The King's Speech
Jeff Bridges – True Grit
Javier Bardem - Biutiful
Jesse Eisenberg - The Social Network
James Franco – 127 Hours 
            3/5: I should have gone with my gut.  Javier Bardem was an easy choice but I was suckered by Paul Giamatti simply because I love him as an actor.   The criminal omission is Ryan Gosling.  Snubbed—Ryan Gosling. 

BEST ACTRESS
Natalie Portman - Black Swan
Annette Bening - The Kids Are All Right
Nicole Kidman – Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Lawernce – Winter’s Bone
Michelle Williams – Blue Valentine
            3/5: Hailee Steinfeld should have been nominated here; she’s the main character.   But alas, at least she was recognized.  In my opinion Julianne Moore was the better of the two performances in the lesbian duo of The Kids Are All Right.  At least Michelle Williams got in here, yeah.  Snubbed—Julianne Moore. 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Christain Bale - The Fighter
Geoffrey Rush – The King's Speech
Jonathan Hawks – Winter’s Bone
Mark Ruffalo - The Kids Are All Right
Jeremy Renner – The Town
            4/5:  I completely forgot about Mr. Hawks.  This was a delightful misstep on my part.  I’m elated that he got in there.  No snubbed performance here.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Melissa Leo - The Fighter
Helena Bonham Carter – The King’s Speech
Jacki Weaver – Animal Kingdom
Amy Adams – The Fighter
Hailee Steinfeld -True Grit
            4/5:  At least Hailee Steinfeld is somewhere in the running.  But while I think Amy Adams is a sensational actress she is the weakest link.  Snubbed--Lesley Manville.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Inception
The King's Speech
The Kids Are All Right
Another Year
The Fighter
            4/5: Darn it, I knew Another Year would get in there.   But when I couldn’t fit Black Swan in there I took it out.  I just thought the voters would like Black Swan more.  But they love Mike Leigh; he’s always nominated for this category even when he doesn’t really write in the traditional sense.  Snubbed—Black Swan.

 BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
The Social Network
True Grit
Winter’s Bone
127 Hours
Toy Story 3
            4/5:  This is great.  I didn’t realize that sequels counted as Adapted screenplays (seems odd to me, but oh well).  If I had known this, this is exactly the nominations I’d have guessed.   I’m so glad the Town was excluded.   No snubs here.

BEST ANIMATED FILM
Toy Story 3
How to Train a Dragon
The Illusionist
            2/3: I again second guessed myself.  I put down the Illusionist, which does look great, but changed my mind because I wanted badly for Tangled to win a spot.  Too bad they just couldn’t open this one up to 4 nominations like they did for song.   
                       
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Inception
The Social Network
How to Train Your Dragon
King’s Speech
127 hours
            4/5:  Elfman is out.  That’s okay.  I don’t have a problem with this one.   

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
Inception
Harry Potter 7 Pt.1
Alice in Wonderland
Hereafter
Iron Man 2
            2/5:  I’m confused.  Usually this is a three spot category but I guess this year they went with five.  Still I’m shocked that Tron Legacy wasn’t nominated.  It had easily the best special effects of any movie this year except for Inception.  Snubbed--Tron Legacy

BEST ART DIRECTION
King's Speech
Inception
Alice in Wonderland
True Grit
Harry Potter 7 Pt.1
            3/5:  Almost satisfied with this one except I think Tron Legacy should have been included instead of Harry Potter.  Snubbed: Tron Legacy

BEST COSTUMES
True Grit
Alice in Wonderland
The King’s Speech
The Tempest
I Am Love
            2/5:  Not bad at all.  I’m happy with this one.

BEST EDITING
The King’s Speech
The Social Network
Black Swan
127 Hours
The Fighter
            3/5:  I can’t believe I forgot the Fighter; it deserves a nomination.  I’m disappointed though that Inception didn’t make it with all of its complex sequences.  Snubbed—Inception.
 
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
The King’s Speech
True Grit
Inception
Black Swan
            5/5:  Perfect.

I was annoyed that Best Song only had four nominations when Tangled had a wealthy of songs to make it five.  Oh well, there we go.  Now I’ll need to think about these nominations and make my predictions before the ceremony a month away.   I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment