My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Kids Are All Right (2010)

What a compelling drama.  I hope more movies are made with gay couples.  Annette Bening and Julianne Moore play lesiban parents of two teenagers who must confront their relationship when their children contact the sperm donor that helped give them their family.  The acting and directing of this film are excellent.  Everyone deserves an Oscar nomination for taking a flawed script and making it so engaging.  Not exactly a masterpiece, it's still a thoughtful film with complex characters you can't stop watching.  Grade: B+

Spoilers:  If only the end of the film matched the quality of the rest of it.  I'm not sure what Lisa Cholodenko was trying to say at the end, if she even knew herself, but talk about being completely unsatisfied.  Mark Ruffalo's character didn't deserve being kicked the curb at the end.  While not a member of this family, I don't think it was respectful for his last scene to be him throwing a helmet at his motorcycle.  I don't always need closure but come on, what was the point of making me like Paul so much.  In the end I think this film is really flawed, which is probably okay, because so is life.  Maybe that's the point: just like marriage, life is hard and not always equal.  Still, what started out as a wonderful film ended poorly.  I'm glad that Paul didn't break up their marriage but I would have liked it if Nick would have taken some of the responsibility for being a bitch.  Maybe that's harsh but come on, that wasn't a healthy relationship.  If Nick keeps on that path that marriage will be over within a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment