My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Micmacs à tire-larigot [Micmacs] (2009)

The makers of Amelie (aka Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain) return with this whimsical comedy of a shooting victim who sets out to destroy the weapons manufactures responsible for making the bullet that's still in his head and land mine that killed his father.  Jean-Pierre Jeunet is a genius at visual mischief.  Visual gags fill every frame of this movie.  It's so fun to watch that I found myself having to rewind at some parts because I had stopped reading the subtitles.  The film's only flaw is that Jean-Pierre under develops some of the relationships on screen, especially the love story which kind of pops up out of nowhere.  In Amelie he proved to be brilliant with ensembles but here he introduces his characters and then moves on, not allowing us anymore interactions that might allow us to fall in love with them.   Which is unfortunate because there are some really great characters in this film that remain two-dimensional clowns.   Still if you like quirky characters and inventive film making, this sort of satire on Mission Impossible like adventure films is a blast.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment