My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Killer Inside Me (2010)

Some films teeter on the edge of greatness only for the winds of fate to shift and for it to fall back into mediocrity.  Director Michael Winterbottom gives us the look and feel of a great film noir but somehow misses the boat on its narrative drive, losing me just as the plot should start reeving up.  The best part of the film is Casey Affleck, as the psychopath Lou Ford, he really finds the cold depth the character needs.  His performance is contagious to watch and there are moments where I felt his character could succeed at anything.  While an unlikeable character, I couldn't help but want to know what was going to happen to this well-developed anti-hero.   Jessica Alba is completely miscast as the prostitute even as she pulls off her best work as an actress to date.  Kate Hudson is blah (I know that's cruel, but it's true, she's just average.) I wish that they had cast two stronger actresses to counter Casey's talent.   Based on Jim Thompson's violent 1950s novel, I get a sense that many feminist will hate this movie; the violence done to women is cold-hearted.   If you're looking for a good film noir, there are worse out there, but I'd only check this one out if you're a fan of the novel and you want to compare the two.   Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment