My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Blue Valentine (2010)

Derek Cianfrance directs a film he co-wrote about the marriage between a dropout artist and a nurse, a couple played heroically by Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams.  A work of art that examines love and relationships in an honest and beautiful way.  Oscar caliber film making and acting and well-worth seeing in the theater.  Grade: A.  

Spoiler alert: This is a difficult film to write about without giving away the ending.  It's a real sad film, especially painful because I left knowing that these two people were meant for each other but when someone in a relationship stops trying to improve themselves no love story can survive.  I loved how these two met and hated to see them break apart.  One part of the film that's pretty shocking and that's wonderfully controversial is how she never tells the real father that she's pregnant.  This choice really is immoral but does a lot to show how screwed up she is too.  I've discussed this with some friends and people jump on his case for being such a loser when they forget that she's just as much a flawed person as well.  Which makes this all the more devastating because they could have helped each other but they didn't and that's why they were doomed.   Heart breaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment