My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

L'illusionniste [The Illusionist] (2010)

Sylvain Chomet's follow up to The Triplettes of Bellview is a magical film based on an unproduced script by Jacques Tati.  If you've ever seen Mr. Hulot's Holiday's you'll recognize the animated version of Jacques Tati, who is the Illusionist, a magician simply trying to suvive a competitve world of expanding entertainment while granting a young woman all that she dreams of.  Like Triplettes, Chomet's film has very minimal dialogue and acts almost like a silent film.  What I especially loved about this movie was how it communicated so many ideas, from consumerism to the fraility of artists, without preaching at the audience.  Bravo.  Tati would have been impressed and if you are a fan of such French sensibilities you will be too.  The American Academy did well nominating this one for an Oscar.  Grade: A. 

No comments:

Post a Comment