My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Total Recall (2012)

This is Len Wiseman’s best film so far. When I read that they were making this remake I rolled my eyes. Really? Why? While this isn’t necessarily better than Arnold Schwarzenegger’s version I like that they took a different approach. I miss the Mars aspect of the story and there’s the elevator through the center of the Earth part that was just stupid. But the rest of the film is solid. Colin Farrell delivers a decent performance as does Jessica Biel as his romantic sidekick. Kate Beckinsale is the standout and helps bolster the intensity of the film. The best sequence is the car chase which might be one of the more inventive science fiction levitating car chases ever put to film. Again I could have done without the whole elevator nonsense but it’s a decent film. I imagine those that have not seen the 90s version must have found this one to be pretty exciting. Grade: B+

Spoilers:
Okay, let me just say again that the elevator through the center of the Earth part of the story was just dumb. I know this is the third time I’m saying this but it really was unrealistic. First of all, why couldn’t the bad guys just fly around the world to conquer the other side? Secondly, nothing about it seems scientifically plausible. I can understand Wiseman’s desire to stay on Earth and avoid Mars but his invention turns out to lower the quality of his final product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment