My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

This is the End (2013)

Seth Rogan and Evan Goldberg co-write and direct an ensemble farce staring Seth, Jay Baruchel, James Franco, Jonah Hill, Craig Robinson and Danny McBride as fictional versions of themselves who attend a Hollywood party that is interrupted by the apocalypse. It’s a meta-comedy that satires Hollywood culture, disaster movies, possession films and the end of the world. I loved it! It’s dark and strange and hilarious. Danny McBride steals the show, giving his typical laugh-out-loud jerk performance that he does so well. This is one of those films I can see watching over and over again. It’ll be interesting to see how it holds up years from now with future viewers who don’t know who these guys are and haven’t ever seen the Pineapple Express. I think it has some timeless moments but at the same time it is set in its time like a pop cultural time capsule. Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment