My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, January 24, 2014

Captain Phillips (2013)

Tom Hanks gives one of his best performances ever playing the true life survivor and hero of a Somali pirate hostage crisis that occurred in 2009. Capt. Richard Phillips leads a crew of a cargo ship through the Indian Ocean when he’s faced with a small group of pirates lead by the furious Barkhad Abdi. Paul Greengrass directs and delivers an intense thriller that never gives its audience a break. Of course with a tightly written script from Billy Ray that excels at being suspenseful as well as emotionally dramatic I don’t see how he could have failed. Every aspect of this film comes together just perfectly and helps make you forget that this is the same actor who played Forrest Gump. Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment