My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Hunt (2013)

This is the Danish equivalent of The Children’s Hour except without the lesbian story thread. Wow, I haven’t wanted to punch a lady in the face in a long time. Mads Mikkelsen brilliantly plays a local boy who works at a school for children who is mistakenly assumed to be a child molester. How this accusation changes his life and his relationship with his once close neighbors is brutally honest and skillfully realized. This is the second film I’ve seen from director Thomas Vinterberg, the first being Festen (which was excellent as well) and I think this is his masterpiece so far. We ask our children to tell us the truth and yet how horrible it is to fool them into giving you the truth you already assumed to be real. Stories like this happen and it’s a tragic. Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment