My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Great Gatsby (2013)

Baz Luhrmann is the cinematic lord of gaudy brilliance. And while gaudy might be considered a negative adjective, in this case it’s a celebration of melodrama and music and razzle dazzle spectacle. When you watch a film by Luhrmann, it’s clearly a Luhrmann production. Here he adapts F. Scott Fitzgerald’s famous novel about a young WWI vet and college grad who becomes friends with a mysterious millionaire neighbor. I was never a fan of the novel but Luhrmann is the artist to make such a story work. Set during the Roaring Twenties, he clearly loves to juxtapose a romanticize time period with our current time. I really loved the look and feel of this movie and Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire and Carey Mulligan give strong performances. Their chemistry is electric on screen. The film’s only flaw is the pacing feels off. I think the issue is that there’s no real suspense. It starts off with lots of mystery but once we find out who Jay Gatsby is the drama’s purpose falters. This is a subtle error and doesn’t spoil the tragic beauty of the movie’s ending. Grade: A-

Spoilers:
Daisy is a bitch and Mulligan portrays her with great emotional honesty. But she’s still a bitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment