My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, January 17, 2014

Top Ten Oscar Moments

In honor of this year’s Oscar nominations, here is my top ten favorite moments during the Oscars.

10. Adrien Brody kissing Halle Berry – Not only did Adrien win a well-deserved Oscar but he topped the celebration by ambushing last year’s winner Halle Berry with a Hollywood-style kiss. It was funny; it was outrageous and it will be remembered for years to come.

9. Ben Stiller’s Green Suit – Mr. Stiller is hilarious and when he came on in an all-green suit, talking about special effects was very amusing. I actually think Stiller would make a great host some time; I hope it happens.

8. Jack Palance’s one armed push up – What’s the best way to show you’re the man, a real tough cookie like the character he portrayed, do a one-armed push up. Awesome.

7. Billy Crystal in the Lecter Mask – Billy Crystal has so many amazing moments and I could make a list of just those but for me it was when two stage hands wheeled him out on a dolly wearing the infamous Hannibal Lecter mask that sticks as a defining moment of his greatness.

6. Benigni jumping on Spielberg’s shoulders – Some were annoyed at Roberto Benigni’s enthusiasm but seeing him bounding from his seat and climbing up on Spielberg like a monkey was epic. I miss this guy and wish he’d have a comeback so we can see him in all his zaniness again.

5. Cuba Gooding Jr. goes berserk – Gooding Jr. might have one of the worst post-Oscar win careers out there but his celebration for winning for Jerry Maguire makes up for it. It was a standing ovation moment that rocked.

4. Jack Black, Will Farrell and John C. Reilly – The trio stole the show performing a music number that still makes me smile

3. Steve Martin hosts – I personally am a huge Martin fan so every year he hosted the Oscars was fantastic.

2. Robin Williams getting his first Oscar for Good Will Hunting – Watching a legend like Robin Williams win his first Oscar was amazing and I don’t remember being so happy for a complete stranger.

1. Shakespeare In Love beating Saving Private Ryan – I know I’m in the minority here but I was delighted by this upset. For me the best film won. I know, I know, everyone else out there disagrees. Everyone except the Academy voters of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment