My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Monsieur Lazhar (2011)

This French Canadian film nominated for an Oscar for Best Foreign language film is poignant story of an Algerian immigrant who takes the job as a teacher after the teacher he’s replacing hanged herself in the class room. Themes of cultural differences and emotional detachment propel the dramatic center of this film. If not for Mohamed Fellag memorable performance I’m not sure if this would have been as successful as it is. There are a few subplots that are just left to our imagination and some of the other characters are just not likeable enough. In the end, a strong ending and a well-established lead made for a good film that I wish had been a bit better. Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment