My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Her (2014)

This has to be the most accurate film depicting the near future ever made. Yet it’s not about the future it’s a love story that just so happens to happen in the future. It’s a love story where the recipient of a man’s love just so happens to be a computer program. It’s an experience that will make you smile the next time you hear someone tell you they love their iPhone. When watching this film, I couldn’t help but wonder if someday our technology will surpass us, where computers find souls and we disconnect from ours. Or will there be a synergy between us as we become so interconnect you can no longer tell us apart. All of these ideas are evident in this Spike Jonze masterpiece of speculative romance. Joaquin Phoenix gives another amazing performance as personalized letter writer dealing with a hard break-up. He obtains the newest operating software voiced by Scarlett Johansson and she’s basically an invisible personal assistant. But as they become more acquainted internal spark begin to set off. There are way too many aspects of this film that I love. Amy Adams, Olivia Wilde and Rooney Mara play the flesh and blood females in his complex, strange and very relatable life and they’re all fantastic. The production design is amazing and very believable. I felt like I was watching a film shot in the year 2025. Sure as the film unfolds it’s clear this is not a high-tension thriller but the stakes are just as high with a man learning to love again and a computer evolving beyond anyone’s imagination. Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment