My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Hills Have Eyes (1977)

Having seen Alexandre Aja’s 2006 remake (which I enjoyed) I thought it was about time I saw the original directed by the legendary horror master Wes Craven. What I expected was a dated ‘70s low-budgeted horror film with bad acting and awkward pacing but what I got was a ‘70s low-budgeted horror film that still holds up with decent acting and terrific pacing. Mr. Craven learned a lot since his debut film five years earlier, and having a better budget probably helped too. It’s the story of a vacationing family getting trapped out in the desert and attacked by crazy cannibals. While not as disturbing as the remake it’s just as terrifying and builds to a very satisfying exciting ending. Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment