My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, October 26, 2013

House on Haunted Hill (1959)

Movies like these make me wish I could go back in time and experience it with an audience of that time. I’m sure this William Castle production staring Vincent Price was a scream fest for teenagers back then, a good time at the movies to sit with your girlfriend and jump at dancing skeletons. Of course today it’s purely a historical document with little entertainment value. But that said it’s not all bad, it has some cheesy charm even if it is a complete rip-off of Shirley Jackson’s famous story The Haunting of Hill House (I mean the word Hill is in both titles; that’s about as obvious as it gets). The story is similar: a millionaire invites a bunch of guest to stay at a haunted house and says if they survive the night he’ll give them $10,000. There was a remake made in 1999 that I haven’t seen. Maybe I’ll check it out to see how they took such a story and updated it. Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment