My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Los ojos de Julia [Julia's Eyes] (2010)

Whenever I see “Guillermo del Toro Presents” attached to a project I check it out regardless of his actual involvement. The reason why is simple: Guillermo del Toro has great taste (at least in my opinion). Here Guillem Morales directs with a script he co-wrote with Oriol Paulo. The story centers on a woman played by Belen Reuda who is slowly going blind and yet is tormented by the death of her twin sister (also going blind). For her sister was killed and to prove her death wasn’t suicide she must find a killer who may or may not be supernatural. While a bit slow moving at times, this is a solid thriller with a really great ending, the kind of beautiful last moment that sends shivers down my spine. Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment