My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Excision (2012)

I wanted to like this film but in the end it’s just too erratic. AnnaLynne McCord stars as an eccentric teenager who dreams of being a doctor and healing her young sister someday from cystic fibrosis. She just a weird girl fascinated with blood and having sex with another girl’s boyfriend. Her mother played by Traci Lords gives a balanced performance and is the core motivator to all the madness. But as the film continues to unfold it loses its momentum and just fades. Even the ending, while a terrific idea, felt rushed for me. Ultimately what put me off on this film was the main character itself. She’s just not likeable. The audience needs to connect to a film’s main character even if they’re a monster. Grade: C  

No comments:

Post a Comment