My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Abandoned (2007)

The foreign horror market seems to be saturated with these kinds of artistic ghost stories that would never do well in the theaters but always make for great viewing on DVD. Nacho Cerda directs the story of an American woman who returns to Russia to find out what happened to her mother and father. She returns to the abandoned farm her parents lived on before as a baby her dying mother drove her and her brother to safety. While there she discovers her brother is there too, also interested in the mystery of their parents. What they didn’t expect was that their parents’ ghosts would be there waiting for them. Good stuff. A bit long-winded at times, it’s still a well-shot film with excellent visuals. Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment