My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Room 237 (2013)

This documentary compiles a bunch of wild theories about the making of The Shining. Obviously this is a perfect documentary to watch while celebrating horror and in a weird way (the music helps) it’s kind of freakish feeling. Yet I have to say I think all of these theories are completely manufactured by imaginative people looking for something they want to see. That said it’s fascinating to hear what these people come up with. For me what makes this documentary so compelling is that it demonstrates how easy it is to formulate a “believable” conspiracy by piecing together seemingly organized consequences. If a person can convince a group that Stanley Kubrick used the Shining as way to confess to the world he helped the CIA fake the Apollo Moon landing than convincing people that the US government planned and executed the 911 terror attack shouldn’t be that much more difficult. Of course if you look at the facts and read interviews from crew members none of these “supposed” hidden meanings were discussed while making the film. If anything this just shows how great the art direction was for this film (If only Kubrick spent as much time concentrating on the story.) Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment