My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Moonlight (2016)

This is the best film of the year so far.  I’m so glad I had the opportunity to see it on the big screen where its visual scope and powerful and dramatic intimacy could pull me in.   Told in three acts, we experience the life of a young black man named Chiron from three different periods in his youth (using three different actors).  First we meet him as a boy having to deal with bullying and the isolation that he is different.  Second we meet him as a teenager coming to terms with his sexuality and his drug addict mother.  Lastly we meet him as a young adult and see how a criminal life has changed him.  There are so many fantastic performances in this film.  Naomie Harris who plays Chiron’s drug addict mother is scary good.  Mahershala Ali, with a relaxed approach, gives a deeply moving performance as a drug dealer that takes the little Chiron under his wing.   Both of these artists should get some awards buzz.  Director Barry Jenkins must be proud to have crafted such an amazing work of art.  If this film doesn’t at least get nominated for Best Picture than there really might be a white-only conspiracy at hand.   I personally think it should win.  But of course I haven’t seen all the movies yet so I might change my mind.  There is going to have to be something really good to topple this one though.  Remarkable.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment