My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, November 21, 2016

Love and Mercy (2014)

I’m not that much of a Beach Boys fan but I love this film.  I had no knowledge of Brian Wilson’s troubles nor did I know how much of a musical genius he was.   This film by Bill Pohlad tells Wilson’s story from two points in time: when he was younger (Paul Dano) and recorded his best album (in my opinion at least) Pet Sounds and when he’s middle-aged (John Cusack) and he falls in love while under the treatment of Dr. Eugene Landy, a scumbag.  Dano’s section is my favorite.  He gives such a bold and wild performance that demonstrates how intense and innovated Wilson was.  I gained a real appreciation of Wilson’s work.   Cusack’s section is equally fascinating but I wouldn’t say his performance is as good.  It’s a good performance and of all Cusack's most recent work it's his best, but Cusack doesn’t share Dano’s range.   The fact that Cusack and Dano look nothing alike doesn’t hurt the film at all.   The love story with Elizabeth Banks is wonderful and the fact it’s true is very inspiring.  A really cool film.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment